Dark Horse Issues from factory

Mcorona

Jan 7, 2024
Hi All,

New member here, but specifically joined to see if and how many members who own dark horses currently have had any specific issues from the factory, ranging from cosmetic to mechanical. I do love my DH, and has sentimental value beyond most any car I’ve owned (it’s been a lot!). I picked up my DH last Friday (12/29/23) from a dealer that had one that had just came in. Specd almost exactly how id want to order it, handling pack, manual trans etc. It’s gorgeous, but since picking it up have noticed a few things that I feel are beyond just me being picky. And is more a reflection of the build process and quality control going on at the plant.

Understanding, these are mass produced vehicles, let me know your thoughts on these issues and if you guys have heard of anything similar across other dark horses or 7 gen mustangs.

My car currently has 190 actual miles on it, it’s brand new, and when I picked it up, it had 8 miles on the odometer for reference.

Paint:
My DH is painted in Blue Ember and is beautiful, but there is a spot on the front driver quarter panel that has contamination under the base layer of paint, that, when you run a cloth or finger against it, will actually “catch” the cloth or scrape your finger. It’s sharp, and my concern is that in short time, will pop through or wear the paint through and become an issue for rust/paint deterioration. I’ve had two shops (non ford) look at it and both mentioned it will require some level of re-paint, and depending on how difficult it is to match the blue ember paint, could be somewhat tricky. Pictures for reference.
10A7CBC5-EB74-40A0-81CC-3CBAA0C35CC6.jpeg

Attachments

• D625C246-C5BB-4FCE-B9AC-FBF895B1478B.jpeg
    D625C246-C5BB-4FCE-B9AC-FBF895B1478B.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 55484278-6A81-41CC-9D03-BB5A500D240E.jpeg
    55484278-6A81-41CC-9D03-BB5A500D240E.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 45

Mcorona

Jan 7, 2024
Glass Scratches:
This is one is less worrisome, more an annoyance on a 70k car. The passenger rear quarter window has these small odd scratches that run almost in a cross pattern. Relatively difficult to capture in my dark garage, but visible fairly easily during the day. Again, run your finger or finger nail lightly over the window will produce an audible noise from how deep the cuts are. Almost like the window got used for a cutting mat at some point.

Attachments

• E2BE141E-7567-484B-9570-1ABA802461CD.jpeg
    E2BE141E-7567-484B-9570-1ABA802461CD.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 1E39A6AF-A07F-4AE2-B832-F198A6FF5AC2.jpeg
    1E39A6AF-A07F-4AE2-B832-F198A6FF5AC2.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 45

Mcorona

Jan 7, 2024
This is probably the most upsetting issue, with so little miles, it has me a little worried as to what else could be lurking.

Tremec Transmission 5th gear grinding:
I’m thinking I dropped a syncro, but essentially, downshifting from 6th to 5th creates a loud grinding noise (like a gear grinding lol). I’ve driven manuals for most of my adult life including my gt350 with the same transmission, I’m familiar with this not so pleasant sound, it’s never a good one. Shift from 4th to 5th under 50 mph and the transition is fairly smooth. Downshift on the highway from 6th to 5th and it grinds aggressively. Keep in mind, I am not pounding on this car by any means, I understand there is a break in period.

I’m assuming this is warranty work, it’s just more frustrating that a brand new vehicle with so little miles could have these types of flaws right out of the factory.

Has anyone else experienced anything along these lines? Or their own issues? Any input is much appreciated!

Thanks

MJS54

Dec 31, 2023
Sorry to read about your issues. I will say, that just about every new car I have ever purchased (and I've had quite a few) have some issues...the only one that did not was my '18 Lexus ES350 (got lucky I suppose). Even my current '01 Vette (with 30K miles on it) came with a few from the factory and a '11 Honda Pilot had all kinds of issues (cowling not draining, radio wouldn't work, squeaking seats, etc). The worst paint issue I had was on a brand new black '89 GT where the fuel door had a black bubble on it the size of a Tic Tac. I know that the paint issue is one you will have to think long and hard about, because I agree that the Ember Blue is a tricky paint...and matching it may present a problem. There are auto window repair places out there that can remove the scratches from your quarter window with causing any kind of distortion in the glass. But you can also have them replace your quarter rear window (I had that done in my '06 Stang GT). As far as the transmission glitch during your down shifting (especially with a Tremec) should be covered under warranty...Ford should take responsibility for that and replace it...not sure how much of a job that would take, but that is their problem, and they should remedy it for you. Good luck on whatever you decide but know that unfortunately no car (even new) will be perfect (and like yourself I am obsessed with quality and perfection in cars). I am still waiting on my DH to go into production (ordered early September).

Last edited:

Smushi

Aug 31, 2023
As a fellow owner of a manual blue ember #2806 on dash for production reference.
I will say I have read you can call ford about the defect since yours is likely going to cause peeling next summer when heat bakes the imperfection and metal. I noticed my fair share of paint issues as well and they are in blue ember and especially seem to be common to that paint.
I hand ceramic detailed mine and noticed same areas of primer over spray between joins onto surface on the same drivers side front corner panel. Lots of shallow paint spots that look like soft abrasion. Also had a small dimple in my right rear corner panel.
I had when in the right sunlight finger prints all over one spot of the decals on hood (that bugged the piss out of me got most out with a lot of buffing but not all)
Performance wise mine runs great even when at 160mph (don’t tell my wife) the gear issue sounds like for sure take it in last thing you want is trans issues for years to come.

Skhilton53

Dec 5, 2023
Hi All,

New member here, but specifically joined to see if and how many members who own dark horses currently have had any specific issues from the factory, ranging from cosmetic to mechanical. I do love my DH, and has sentimental value beyond most any car I’ve owned (it’s been a lot!). I picked up my DH last Friday (12/29/23) from a dealer that had one that had just came in. Specd almost exactly how id want to order it, handling pack, manual trans etc. It’s gorgeous, but since picking it up have noticed a few things that I feel are beyond just me being picky. And is more a reflection of the build process and quality control going on at the plant.

Understanding, these are mass produced vehicles, let me know your thoughts on these issues and if you guys have heard of anything similar across other dark horses or 7 gen mustangs.

My car currently has 190 actual miles on it, it’s brand new, and when I picked it up, it had 8 miles on the odometer for reference.

Paint:
My DH is painted in Blue Ember and is beautiful, but there is a spot on the front driver quarter panel that has contamination under the base layer of paint, that, when you run a cloth or finger against it, will actually “catch” the cloth or scrape your finger. It’s sharp, and my concern is that in short time, will pop through or wear the paint through and become an issue for rust/paint deterioration. I’ve had two shops (non ford) look at it and both mentioned it will require some level of re-paint, and depending on how difficult it is to match the blue ember paint, could be somewhat tricky. Pictures for reference. View attachment 199
I picked mine up 11/17/23 and really haven't had a chance to go over it yet by hand to look for imperfections. Past experience though has taught me there is a TIME LIMIT on getting this type of stuff covered by warranty. Would advise you get it into your dealership asap and at least get the claim started.

jblackburn

Verified Order/Owner
Apr 4, 2023
The only issue with mine is that the door plate "Dark Horse" lights do not work on driver or passenger side. No problems with paint or engine.

Skhilton53

Dec 5, 2023
The only issue with mine is that the door plate "Dark Horse" lights do not work on driver or passenger side. No problems with paint or engine.
I was not aware they were even supposed to light up. Mine don't. Where does Ford state they do?

Mcorona

Jan 7, 2024
Just an update on this! Had a dealer look at the transmission issue, and they will be replacing the entire transmission lol. Hopefully should be ready to go by spring!

Mcorona

Jan 7, 2024
Update again: Took it to my local dealer and they replaced the entire transmission and replaced with a new one and also re-painted the area where the blemish on the front fender was. Fantastic Service at Olathe Ford. Unfortunately maybe 12 miles from the dealer, it seems I lost 4th gear syncro on the new transmission. I hope it’s not the case but, scheduled another appointment for them to take a look at the NEW transmission. Has anyone heard of this occurring on other tremec equipped mustangs? My gt350 was flawless, I’m somewhat at a loss. My vehicle has 360 miles on it 🤯

MJS54

Dec 31, 2023
Update again: Took it to my local dealer and they replaced the entire transmission and replaced with a new one and also re-painted the area where the blemish on the front fender was. Fantastic Service at Olathe Ford. Unfortunately maybe 12 miles from the dealer, it seems I lost 4th gear syncro on the new transmission. I hope it’s not the case but, scheduled another appointment for them to take a look at the NEW transmission. Has anyone heard of this occurring on other tremec equipped mustangs? My gt350 was flawless, I’m somewhat at a loss. My vehicle has 360 miles on it 🤯
Wow! Can’t believe it, they always say there will be problems with a first year model…but that Tremec is supposed to “bulletproof.” Good luck, I’m sure the dealer will do right by you.

BSpankinAz

Verified Order/Owner
Oct 25, 2022
Any updates on this? Are you getting yet another transmission?

laforum

Oct 15, 2023
I have R1769 with the manual transmission. Sometimes, I cannot engage reverse. Also, the shift from 1-2 is not a straight motion. When the shifter gets from 1 to the neutral gate, it hits a resistance and I must move the shifter to the right (toward the 3-4 gate). Once clear of the resistance, I move the shifter back to the left and then to the rear into the 2 gate. Anyone else have similar issues?

Skhilton53

Dec 5, 2023
Never had any Tremec issues and I owned four GT350s previously.

Skhilton53

Dec 5, 2023
I have R1769 with the manual transmission. Sometimes, I cannot engage reverse. Also, the shift from 1-2 is not a straight motion. When the shifter gets from 1 to the neutral gate, it hits a resistance and I must move the shifter to the right (toward the 3-4 gate). Once clear of the resistance, I move the shifter back to the left and then to the rear into the 2 gate. Anyone else have similar issues?
Similar. I park in reverse and back up before going forward. When I take it out of reverse I have to shift to third and then to first. Trying to shift to first straight from reverse doesn’t work.