0-60 Times

MJS54

Dec 31, 2023
Lately I’ve been watching video’s where the Dark Horse (6 speed man) is barely breaking under 4 to 60MPH…Motortrend made a claim of 3.8 secs with the auto. Then I recently saw a video in which an older Roush supercharged Mustang simply devoured the Dark Horse. Then other videos where the DH goes against the Shelby’s and doesn’t stand a chance. Just disappointed that I’m not seeing evidence of the Dark Horse getting to 60 in less than 4 secs. In the beginning the Dark Horse was really pushed as an explosive 500HP monster (well it does weigh nearly 4000LBs), but now I’m seeing it just as heavier version of a fully loaded GT. In fact, Hennessy posted a video of the Dark Horse just barely eeking out a performance pack GT, in a roll and drag race. Ford should have made it at least 525HP and increased its torque to 450…but maybe they’re saving it for the 2025 Dark Horse. You know a lot of other performance cars will be challenging you at stop lights, highways, etc. Not sure, at this point that the DH is up to the task. Is it possible that the DH is only a bandaid for not continuing with the Mach 1 while waiting for the next next generation Shelby to come out (maybe). Bottom line: Does the DH live up to its hype. And does it live up to its “killer looks? “ Would love to hear from current owners. Mine is still on order. In the meantime, every weekend I’m rowing through my gears in my ‘01 Z51 C5 coupe…will do 4.6 to 60 (not bad for a 23 year old car…). Your thoughts?

Ryunket

Verified Order/Owner
May 15, 2023
Do you own a DH or driven one? I have the tremec 700a and more than enough power, limited only by keeping the tires from breaking loose. Don't care if you are roliin' @30mph, very difficult to keep the rear end connected to the street.

MJS54

Dec 31, 2023
Mine has been on order since early September (through dealer allocation). My last GT was an ‘06 in Windveil Blue (loved it immensely). But this time I want the DH to outrun my current ‘01 Z51 C5 Vette. My current Vette will do 0-60 in 4.6 to 4.7. And I have not been seeing promising performance numbers from the current DH. Also I’ve seen videos from not so great dyno runs. I know that the DH doesn’t stand a chance against the current C8 in straight line performance…but I have been looking at the C8 while waiting (which seems like an eternity) for the DH I ordered. And in the lowest trim (1LT), the C8’s price is comparable to the DH I ordered (Auto in Carbonized Gray).

Ryunket

Verified Order/Owner
May 15, 2023
Mine has been on order since early September (through dealer allocation). My last GT was an ‘06 in Windveil Blue (loved it immensely). But this time I want the DH to outrun my current ‘01 Z51 C5 Vette. My current Vette will do 0-60 in 4.6 to 4.7. And I have not been seeing promising performance numbers from the current DH. Also I’ve seen videos from not so great dyno runs. I know that the DH doesn’t stand a chance against the current C8 in straight line performance…but I have been looking at the C8 while waiting (which seems like an eternity) for the DH I ordered. And in the lowest trim (1LT), the C8’s price is comparable to the DH I ordered (Auto in Carbonized Gray).
This car may not be what you desire. It was designed for the weekend "track days" the 0-60 and drag strip stuff it performs decent and fun but no rocket ship. Best of luck to you.

MJS54

Dec 31, 2023
Rykunket, perhaps you are right...the Dark Horse even struggled against a Camaro SS 1LE (and the Camaro has less HP, but albeit more torque and costs less) that should have told us that the Dark Horse is merely a "bandaid" to keep MUstang Enthusiasts happy until the next generation Shelby comes out (if it ever does). There are over 450 Dark Horses listed in Autotrader that are for sale nationwide, and they're just simply not selling...that's not a good sign.

BSpankinAz

Verified Order/Owner
Oct 25, 2022
Rykunket, perhaps you are right...the Dark Horse even struggled against a Camaro SS 1LE (and the Camaro has less HP, but albeit more torque and costs less) that should have told us that the Dark Horse is merely a "bandaid" to keep MUstang Enthusiasts happy until the next generation Shelby comes out (if it ever does). There are over 450 Dark Horses listed in Autotrader that are for sale nationwide, and they're just simply not selling...that's not a good sign.
If you are mainly looking for 0-60 then of course the DH isn't for you. I have seen Dark Horse Chassis Numbers over 3000. So if 450 are on autotrader that means a less than 20% of the cars haven't been sold. I have no idea what that means! The Dark Horse has gotten a lot of scrutiny online. I also monitor autotrader just to understand the market. I saw 373 GT350s listed for sale and over 3500 C8s. I have no idea what the production numbers are for those cars. To counter your point though, if less than 20% of cars remain unsold even in the dealer markup environment, you can argue the car is selling pretty good.

I am hoping to reduce the weight of my DH by about 150lbs over time. (wheels, drive shaft, rear seats) That combined with a simple tune to get it to 525HP should make a very good car a great car. I know the ECU is locked but I hope that changes. Ford and a lot of videos have made it clear that the DH is a handling package. Time and time again despite it's 4000lbs weight the car is a monster on the track. The car handles ridiculous. In a straight line it feels like a big Dogde Challenger, as soon as you turn it feels like a Miata. It's also very comfortable on the road. Is it over priced? I don't know. A GR Corolla is 45K. I bought the car for the Tremec but was pleasantly surprised with the handling and the vibe the screens create in the cabin.

I know you have seen all the popular videos such as the Cammisa video but there are also a lot of videos that speak to the handling. Chris from Steeda said his DH was as fast on the autocross track as a modded GT350. That is huge. Here is also a video that talks about the car. Bottom line, you will find faster, lighter, less expensive but you will be hard pressed to find something more fun to drive. And by the way, 0-60 in 4.1 or 4.3 for a manual is fast and the car hooks up. As you know when you street race you still have to drive the car. I am happy to answer any of your questions, just trying to give my perspective. If your heart says C8, then do it, you won't be disappointed. I have about 450 miles on my DH so far so I haven't even really stepped into it yet.

MJS54

Dec 31, 2023
BSpankinAZ, good info. Appreciate your insight and thoughts on this.

Ryunket

Verified Order/Owner
May 15, 2023
If you are mainly looking for 0-60 then of course the DH isn't for you. I have seen Dark Horse Chassis Numbers over 3000. So if 450 are on autotrader that means a less than 20% of the cars haven't been sold. I have no idea what that means! The Dark Horse has gotten a lot of scrutiny online. I also monitor autotrader just to understand the market. I saw 373 GT350s listed for sale and over 3500 C8s. I have no idea what the production numbers are for those cars. To counter your point though, if less than 20% of cars remain unsold even in the dealer markup environment, you can argue the car is selling pretty good.

I am hoping to reduce the weight of my DH by about 150lbs over time. (wheels, drive shaft, rear seats) That combined with a simple tune to get it to 525HP should make a very good car a great car. I know the ECU is locked but I hope that changes. Ford and a lot of videos have made it clear that the DH is a handling package. Time and time again despite it's 4000lbs weight the car is a monster on the track. The car handles ridiculous. In a straight line it feels like a big Dogde Challenger, as soon as you turn it feels like a Miata. It's also very comfortable on the road. Is it over priced? I don't know. A GR Corolla is 45K. I bought the car for the Tremec but was pleasantly surprised with the handling and the vibe the screens create in the cabin.

I know you have seen all the popular videos such as the Cammisa video but there are also a lot of videos that speak to the handling. Chris from Steeda said his DH was as fast on the autocross track as a modded GT350. That is huge. Here is also a video that talks about the car. Bottom line, you will find faster, lighter, less expensive but you will be hard pressed to find something more fun to drive. And by the way, 0-60 in 4.1 or 4.3 for a manual is fast and the car hooks up. As you know when you street race you still have to drive the car. I am happy to answer any of your questions, just trying to give my perspective. If your heart says C8, then do it, you won't be disappointed. I have about 450 miles on my DH so far so I haven't even really stepped into it yet.

I now have about half of your miles a tad over 200, still winter here. The tremec and design of this car is just unbeatable in every way. The 500hp is the right amount, some could argue too much for a street car. So much about the DH benefits and features are untold on the internet. Every drive I take more of the design and engineering is more apparent, its like unwrapping more gifts every time.

Your insight on the math of the unsold is dead on, my chassis number is 3323, built first week in December 23. For all the DH on the web for sale, many of them are just VIN numbers awaiting to be built. Along with the fact they are listed at msrp, but contacting the dealers you find huge market adjustments especially for the tremec equipped cars. I fell down that rabbit hole after almost 11 months and no schedule nor Vin assigned to my order. Ended up settling on the exact car I ordered on the east coast. The purchase was a total disaster, the dealer absolutely the worst. Had to get Ford corporate involved three times after the purchase just to get the car released for shipping. Oh yeah forgot about the dealer wanted me to wait six months befor title paperwork to be sent to my state.

Car is home and no regrets aside from working with that specific dealer.

Smushi

Aug 31, 2023
I have 1000ish miles on mine now 2868 Chas number.
While winter in Texas here and nothing is close so miles can add up in one direction lol.
I love the ride. Manual Tran here and it’s just the best ride I’ve had in 42 years of life. It handles and brakes like no one’s business I took a sharp highway turn (comparable to a canyon turn) at 100mph (don’t tell wife) and outside of my body wanting to leave the car I had 0 sliding or traction issues (was a lot of fun ;)). Braking lord help anyone following me we brake so fast that I told the wife I don’t fear ever hitting someone on freeway but I do fear rear ending since no one else stops as fast :/
The biggest thing I would say is if you want 3-4 second launches whipple it. Think she hits 889 hp super charged and the torque is there so track tire it charger it and pray to god as you hold on.

MJS54

Dec 31, 2023
Good info! thanks…Hoping mine will come in next month (March)…status remains “Unscheduled-clean.”

BSpankinAz

Verified Order/Owner
Oct 25, 2022
Good info! thanks…Hoping mine will come in next month (March)…status remains “Unscheduled-clean.”
So you are sticking with the DH over the C8? Smushi above really sums the car up. The handling is so fun and easy. I am curious if people will try and improve the handling on these and how they do it. The raw part is the tremec and the throttle response. Those two combined make it very fun.

Personally though I love the look. IMO the Dodge Challenger is perhaps the best looking modern muscle car. It's simplicity and meanness are great. That model has been around for over 10 years I guess and I would still have one! The DH is similar to this look. Simple and mean. Only time will tell if the design will endure.

Finally go visit a GT350 forum. Sure the 350 is better but getting a used or even having a new 350 can just be a whole different level. I wanted a car with an engine that is still being made and improved upon. The Coyote is just solid. As you can see, I am not into the "this car is better stuff", it's all about finding the right car for you and your situation.

Kelsey

Sep 5, 2023
Sounds like maybe the DH isn't the car for you. Bit if you drive one Dennis said it so well it's got 500 horses but feel like 700. It's a blast to drive and perfectly balanced for a road car.